It can be so daunting when it comes to SEO (search engine optimisation) and your website, but we are here to hold your hand and help you every step of the way. The essentials of SEO can be carried out by any good competent website owner and get you some great results.
Some of these steps are the first things you should be doing once any page has been built, and using our tips can save you some money in hiring an expensive SEO consultant.
Follow this guide:-
- H1 tag – this is the most important tag on your page or post. It’s a descriptive tag that helps search engines understand what your page or post is all about. This is critical so DO NOT forget it and remember it can only be 70 characters long.
- H2 – H6 tag – these tags are used for sub headings and paragraph headings within your main body of text. Use them to draw attention to keywords and direct the reader through your page.
- Page Title – this should contain your main keyword and it needs to be at the front, make it relevant.
- Keyword – your main keyword must be in the first 100 words of first two sentences on your page. The closer to the start the better. Then use variations of your keyword throughout the rest of your body text.
- Internal links – you need to add internal links to other pages within your website. Have you other pages that compliment this page or post that your audience would be interested in.
- External links – add some relevant outbound links to other websites that compliment your service or products, these could be professional websites in your business specialty.
- Words on page – the more words you have the better for getting ranked and indexed by the major search engines. We find typically a length of 1000 is the minimum with posts of up to 2000+ words getting top ranking results.
- Images – add some relevant images to your page or post and make sure they have your keyword in the filename.
This is just a small guide teaching you about some of the things you can do yourself. If you are using WordPress, use an SEO plugin like Yoast SEO and follow their excellent guides.
If you need further help on this matter, then get in touch and we would love to discuss your SEO requirements.